[protege-owl] OWL and Epistemic Operator K

Marius mgwiazda at onet.eu
Tue Jan 8 15:32:32 PST 2008

Is the possibility to use this operator in OWL, for example in class
definition - N&S conditions (any extensions of OWL)?

Example:
We can define in OWL: ∃hasChild.T(Helen)
This means if Helen has at least one child. If in ontology is no assertions
like hasChild(Helen,Mark) the answer on this question is: unknown (OWA).

But could we define something like this: ∃KhasChild.T(Helen)
It means if Helen has at least one known child. If in our ontology is no
assertions like hasChild(Helen,Mark) then answer is no.

I know this isn't description logic feature (exacly non-monotonic feature)
but local closed world reasoning, like described in [1], would be
potentially useful.

Thank you for help,
Mariusz

[1] Stephan Grimm, Boris Motik: "Closed World Reasoning in the Semantic Web
through Epistemic Operators",
http://dip.semanticweb.org/documents/Grimm-Motik-Closed-World-Reasoning-in-the-Semantic-Web-through-Epistemic-Operators.pdf