[protege-owl] protege 4.0 and Pellet 1.5: reasoning is quite slow

Davide Codoro da.codo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 10:24:34 PST 2008

Hello I'm trying to get confident with Protege 4.0 and SWRL rules, so I
created my own little Family Onthology to do some tests.
In the ontology there are only maybe 20 classes, 20 object properties, 10
individuals and 10 SWRL rules.
The reasoning is always correct and complete with Pellet 1.5, but it's very
slow!! When I select an individual it takes something like a minute to infer
all the classes and properties it has.
Is there any reason, like a bug or an alpha-related limit, for this
slowness?
Maybe would be better reasoning with Fact++? (sincerely I'm not sure if
Fact++ handles rules or not...)
Or should I reason directly from Pellet console instead than from Protege?

Every help is welcome, thanks and goodbye!

Davide