[protege-owl] protege 4.0 and Pellet 1.5: reasoning is quite slow

Matt Williams matthew.williams at cancer.org.uk
Fri Jan 11 10:40:41 PST 2008

Dear Davide,

It might be helpful if you compared reasoning with protege vs. reasoning
directly with pellet via the command-line.

(i.e. something like: ./pellet.sh -c -if file:///home/yourontology.owl
on linux)

 From experience, reasoning with an ontology containing DL-safe rules
does seem to slow down reasoning quite a lot. However, in order to try
and work out where the problem is, a quick comparison might help pin
down the problem.

If you confirm that it is pellet (i.e. it is slow with both approaches),
then an email on the pellet mailing list might help.

HTH,

Matt

Davide Codoro wrote:
> Hello I'm trying to get confident with Protege 4.0 and SWRL rules, so I
> created my own little Family Onthology to do some tests.
> In the ontology there are only maybe 20 classes, 20 object properties,
> 10 individuals and 10 SWRL rules.
> The reasoning is always correct and complete with Pellet 1.5, but it's
> very slow!! When I select an individual it takes something like a minute
> to infer all the classes and properties it has.
> Is there any reason, like a bug or an alpha-related limit, for this
> slowness?
> Maybe would be better reasoning with Fact++? (sincerely I'm not sure if
> Fact++ handles rules or not...)
> Or should I reason directly from Pellet console instead than from Protege?
>
> Every help is welcome, thanks and goodbye!
>
> Davide

http://acl.icnet.uk/~mw
http://adhominem.blogsome.com/
+44 (0)7834 899570