[protege-owl] protege 4.0 and Pellet 1.5: reasoning is quite slow

Davide Codoro da.codo at
Sat Jan 12 18:02:08 PST 2008

2008/1/11, Jennifer Vendetti <vendetti at>:
> Davide,
> We have a separate mailing list for Protege 4.0.  Please repost your
> question there:
> Thank you,
> Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer, I reposted my question there! ;)

2008/1/11, Matt Williams <matthew.williams at>:

> Dear Davide,
> It might be helpful if you compared reasoning with protege vs. reasoning
> directly with pellet via the command-line.
> (i.e. something like: ./ -c -if file:///home/yourontology.owl
> on linux)
>  From experience, reasoning with an ontology containing DL-safe rules
> does seem to slow down reasoning quite a lot. However, in order to try
> and work out where the problem is, a quick comparison might help pin
> down the problem.
> If you confirm that it is pellet (i.e. it is slow with both approaches),
> then an email on the pellet mailing list might help.
> HTH,
> Matt

Dear Matt, thanks for your help!!
I agree with you but I've a problem: with my ontology if I reason from
Protege 4.0 the result is correct, but like I said it takes quite a long
time. If I reason directly in Pellet 1.5.1 the reasoner tells me that the
ontology is OWL-Full and what I've to add to make it OWL-DL. If I add the
code to the ontology and then I try reasoning again Pellet notices the
changes but there's a single tag that it still says I've to add, even if I
already added it and I see it clearly in the ontology. The tag is this one:

> Add the following statements to make this document OWL DL
> <rdf:RDF
>     xmlns:rdf="" >
> </rdf:RDF>
Do you have any idea for the reason of this??