[protege-owl] New thread in propertyValueChanged IllegalStateException

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 14 10:50:08 PST 2008

There  should be a more detailed description of the error in the
protege logs.  Look in the protege installation directory and in the
logs directory.  Then (the tricky part) find the right log file and
you will see a full IllegalStateException stack trace.  If this
doesn't make the problem immediately clear then send us the stack trace.

Also Thread.stop is not recommended for very good reason.  (Note it is
deprecated in the javadoc.) It can leave your data structures in an
inconsistent state.  To see how bad this could be imagine if some
library like Xerces found its datastructures corrupted.  Fun to debug
and impossible to fix.

If you find that we have committed this sin then please let me know.
The recommended way to stop a thread is to have the thread operation
to do a sort of polling technique where it checks at various
convenient moments to see if it should abort.  I know it is awkward
but I don't know a better way.

-Timothy