[protege-owl] New thread in propertyValueChanged IllegalStateException

zhang weishan dr_zhangws at
Mon Jan 14 12:10:42 PST 2008

Hello Timothy,
  Thank you so much for telling me the log, which really help to trace.  Now everything works well...
  The problem is one utility class has an unnecessary throws, in its stop() method. I did not use thread.stop(), but thank you for pointing out this.

  Best regards,

----- Original Message ----
From: Timothy Redmond <tredmond at>
To: User support for the Protege-OWL editor <protege-owl at>
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:50:08 AM
Subject: Re: [protege-owl] New thread in propertyValueChanged IllegalStateException

There  should be a more detailed description of the error in the protege logs.  Look in the protege installation directory and in the logs directory.  Then (the tricky part) find the right log file and you will see a full IllegalStateException stack trace.  If this doesn't make the problem immediately clear then send us the stack trace.

Also Thread.stop is not recommended for very good reason.  (Note it is deprecated in the javadoc.) It can leave your data structures in an inconsistent state.  To see how bad this could be imagine if some library like Xerces found its datastructures corrupted.  Fun to debug and impossible to fix.

If you find that we have committed this sin then please let me know.  The recommended way to stop a thread is to have the thread operation to do a sort of polling technique where it checks at various convenient moments to see if it should abort.  I know it is awkward but I don't know a better way.