[protege-owl] Abduction reasoning on the Semantic Web

Bert Van Nuffelen bvn at
Tue Jan 15 06:54:14 PST 2008

ahmed nabel wrote:
> Hello everyone
> Where can I do abduction reasoning for the Semantic Web? Can I do that in Protege? If not, then Jena? Else?...
> I need to have some facts to be inferred from a set of given facts in an OWL file, as an explanation of the given facts... (or whatever adductive reasoning is..., I'm a very beginner in all this so sorry if the explanation is not clear enough because I'm not clear enough about what I'm talking about yet!).
> Any suggestions?...
> Thank you for your time.
> Best.
To my knowledge there exists no abductive reasoner that supports the
OWL/SWRL syntax.
So you have to look into classical Logic Programming syntax approaches
and write an interface to them.
Some keywords of procedures directly related to abduction: SLDNFA, ACLP,
Asystem, IFF-procedure (Denecker, Kakas, Van Nuffelen, Toni)
Some keywords of related approaches: Answer Set Programming (dlv,
sModels), Model generation (midl)

I hope this gives you some pointers to what you are after.