[protege-owl] Query Performance

Christian Beckel Christian.Beckel at gmx.de
Wed Jan 16 13:19:11 PST 2008

Hello,

I want to query some data from an ontology in a time-critical application and
I wonder what "query language" and ontology type I should use.

I've already found out that performing queries through DL Reasoning (creating
a class with the desired restrictions) is quite expensive since the ontology
needs to be reclassified for each query. That's why I consider querying the
ontology with SPARQL on instance level.

So far, my ontology is written in OWL DL. Do SPARQL queries perform
differently on OWL DL ontologies and on RDFS ontologies or is the performance
difference negligible as soon as the ontology is classified?

Greetings & Thanks for your help,

Christian