[protege-owl] Query Performance

Martin O'Connor martin.oconnor at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 16 13:49:47 PST 2008

SPARQL does not have any understanding of OWL so can be cumbersome if
your queries are complex. You could try SQWRL [1]. The current
implementation in the SWRLTab use as Jess back end and does not
implement a complete OWL reasoner so is relatively quick. It should work
well for ontologies with tens of thousands of individuals, but you may
run into performance issues if your ontologies are much bigger. I plan
on working on query performance over the next few months because we have
several projects with large ontologies that use SWRL and SQWRL.

Martin

[1] http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SQWRL