[protege-owl] How to infer the "Characteristic" Properties

Bill Dickinson dickinsw at verizon.net
Sat Jan 19 21:34:39 PST 2008

I can't speak for the folks who write the reasoners, but, without intending
to complicate this scenario, I wonder if you might also need to include a
time of sympton onset.  Its seems reasonable that D1, D2, and D3 are all
valid considerations for S3 which is shared by all three.  If S2 shows up
later, re-eval would strongly infer D2, but wouldn't all three diseases be
candidates if only S3 was presenting?   What if only S3 and S4 were present?
(same conclusion).

Now S5 shows up - then we can rule out D1, I think, but can't decide if D2
or D3 (or both) is correct until S2 shows up, or s7.  Maybe there is no time
involved.  Maybe the syptoms all show up at once - I guess it depends on the
disease.  Oh, well, just some random thoughts.  I think that inferences will
change as the symptoms appear.  I understand you wish to define a
"characteristic" of each disease based on the unique sysmptoms of each, but
I think your "patient" is not going to present with, say, only S1, or only
s2, or only S6 and S7 when there are other sysmptoms present AND some of
them are shared by all diseases.

Regards,

Bill Dickinson