[protege-owl] How to infer the "Characteristic" Properties

Alan Ruttenberg alanruttenberg at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 23:25:04 PST 2008

On Jan 19, 2008, at 11:04 PM, SAPI wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I am doing a disease diagnosis system, I know how to make a class
> with N&S
> condtions so that inferrence engine will tell you what is the
> disease if I
> enter all the symptoms under the hasSymtoms property of the disease
> class.
> Now say I have three different diseases D1, D2 & D3 each has different
> symptoms has shown below:
> D1: S1, S2, S3, S4,
> D2: S2, S3, S4, S5
> D3: S3, S4, S5, S6, S7
>
> If the patient tell you he hasSymptoms S3 & S4, as these are the
> common
> symptoms across D1..D3, then these are useless, but if they tell you
> he has
> S1, then you know he has D1 immediately, if he has S6 & S7, then he
> has D3.
> So is there a way to infer the characteristic property of D1..D3 as
> follows:
> D1: S1
> D2: S2
> D3: S6, S7

If you have symptomOf (inverse of hasSymptom) then you could ask for
something like:

symptomOf D1 and not (symptomOf D2) and not (symptomOf D3) ...

> Also is there any way to display a list of all possible symptoms, ie
> S1,S2,S3..S7?

the subclasses of symptomOf some Disease

Though I would expect you would have a commons superclass for symptoms.

You might aim general OWL questions to public-owl-dev at w3.org

Biomedical related questions might also get some response from public-semweb-lifesci at w3.org

If you are interested in this sort of thing, you could also review

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-semweb-lifesci/2007Feb/0076.html

Regards,
Alan