[protege-owl] How to infer the "Characteristic" Properties

SAPI m59sapi at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 01:54:27 PST 2008

Thank you all for all the feedback.. My original questions has been over
simplified a little bit...
The D1,D2,D3 are in fact disease syndromes say DS1 DS2 DS3 which fall under
a single disease, think of the disease 'Flu' has multiple syndromes, so the
fact that S3 and S4 tell us she has a flu does not help much (the doctor
would have known in most cases after patient speaks of all her symptoms),
the doctor has to asked if she has S1 or S2 etc so that he can prescribe
according to the syn DS1 or DS2... Thats why it is important that he can
retrieve the characteristics symptoms and all the symptoms of flu for him to
check with the patient. Yes, the hasOnset plus some more is also taken into
account in the current ontology, I do not want to bring them in to
complicate the problems here.

I can hardcode a class with the N&S conditions like Alan described, e.g.
symptomOf D1 and not (symptomOf D2) and not (symptomOf D3) ... to do the
filtering, but this might mean we have to maintain the conditions as D4, D5
.. are added, this amount to maintaining a few thousand of classes in the
current ontology. Hopefully it can be just a single icon or it is a function
you can select and execute (like "computer types"), this might required some
coding to the basic reasoner engine, I am not sure.

-Sapi