[protege-owl] Protege 3.4 SWRLTab+Jess problem

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Tue Jan 22 14:29:29 PST 2008

On Jan 20, 2008, at 7:30 PM, Lorne Bouchard wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> After reading the SWRLEditor FAQ I am baffled...
>
> Consider the following SWRL rules:
>
> hasChild(?x, ?y) ^  hasChild(?x, ?z)   → hasSibling(?y, ?z)
> hasChild(?x, ?y) ^  hasChild(?x, ?z)  ^  differentFrom(M01, M02)  →
> hasSibling(?y, ?z)
> hasChild(?x, ?y) ^  hasChild(?x, ?z)  ^  differentFrom(?y, ?z)  →
> hasSibling(?y, ?z)
>
> Why does the first rule fire in Jess, whilst the other two do not?

Are your OWL individuals asserted to be "differentFrom" each other?

OWL does not assume that individuals with different names are
different from each other, in other words, it doesn't use the Unique
Name Assumption (UNA).  You have to explicitly declare which
individuals are differentFrom each other.

You can either do this using the create individual wizard, or by
choosing the menu command to edit the allDifferents assertions.