[protege-owl] Stack Overflow

Kormann, Joseph joseph.kormann at lmco.com
Fri Jan 25 04:21:30 PST 2008

> On Jan 24, 2008, at 5:40 AM, Kormann, Joseph wrote:
>
> > No information from the group? I suspect it's the start-of-semester
> > ramp-up lag.
>
> Sorry to be somewhat out of touch.  The entire group is working
> overtime at the moment and it is very difficult to cover all of the
> bases.  Tania is working on a grant proposal (deadline in a few days),
> I am working on the parser-database inclusion-namespace branch (due at
> the end of February) and Jennifer is working on the web client.  All
> of these have a very short fuse.
>
> So the upshot is that I apologize for being somewhat absent lately and
> hope that things are going ok.

Tim, I wasn't being critical. Please accept apologies if it came across
that way. I know the fun of starting semesters while also trying to work
a full-time job. My comment was intended to be understanding instead of
nagging.

> > Here's related question: I don't get the stack overflow using the
> > "RDF/XML" language type so I'm looking to use that for the problem
> > code.
> > Is there a read or write method where it discovers the correct
> > language
> > type, "RDF/XML" or "RDF/XML-ABBREV"? I want to have the piece of
> > software that was throwing the stack be able to send it's OWL to
> > another
> > program to interpret and do analysis.
>
> I got the following from a conversation with Tania just a while ago.
>
> The stack overflow turns out to be a difficult exception.  Tania
> studied it and didn't make too much progress.  It is happening in the
> Jena code but a priori this does not necessarily mean that it is a
> Jena bug.  However, some people have reported the same problem on the
> Jena forums.  The only answer given there was to try again with a
> larger stack size (-Xss not -Xmx) but it wasn't verified in our case.
> Tania thinks that perhaps the problem is that there is a very
> recursive procedure that would terminate but which is actually using
> up all the stack.  This is not usually the case with out of stack
> space exceptions but it may be the case here.

I suspect a recursion problem too based on the exception dump. I can
live with "RDF/XML" instead of "RDF/XML-ABBREV", however I'd like to
know what read() method I should use where I don't have to specify the
"RDF/XML" v. "RDF/XML-ABBREV". Is there a generic loader that
auto-discovers?