[protege-owl] Could swrl rules be separated from the OWL knowledge base?

shangrun du adu2008 at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 29 19:59:13 PST 2008

Hello Martin,

Thanks a lot for your kindly reply and explaination. Since I'm not quite
familiar with SWRL RDF/XML syntax, I'm using the Protege SWRL editor to
write rules, but without firstly importing an ontology the editor seems not
to work. BTW what do you think about the seperation of rules from the
underlying knowledge base, does it really make sense in practice? I didn't
have much experience yet, so pls excute me when the question sounds too
arbitrary.

I've also wanted to try the feature of class expression(see below) in SWRL,
but in protege  an error message is returned: "Error: Invalid identifier:
'(' ". Is this feature no more supported or have I done something wrong?
Thanks again for your help :-)
(hasChild >=2)(?x)  →  Parent(?x)

Best Regards
Jun