[protege-owl] Could swrl rules be separated from the OWLknowledge base?

Martin O'Connor martin.oconnor at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 29 21:51:21 PST 2008

In the SWRL editor you need to import an ontology if you want to write rules that use concepts from that ontology. It really does not make sense to separate rules from an ontology in the sense that the rules have meaning only in terms of an ontology. Yes, you can store them in a separate file but that is a storage/management issue only – the meaning remains the same. SWRL rules - like standard OWL axioms - are not disembodied entities: they can be interpreted only in terms of the ontology that they refer to.

OWL class descriptions are not currently supported in the SWRLTab [1]. They will be in the next month or so.

Martin

[1] http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLLanguageFAQ#nid8I1

  _____