[protege-owl] the counterpart of primary key in relational db forowl?

Martin.Georg.Skjaeveland at dnv.com Martin.Georg.Skjaeveland at dnv.com
Wed Jan 30 03:58:08 PST 2008

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'd like to know whether it is possible to restrict a
> property in owl, so that it could be used to uniquely
> identify its domain concepts, similar like what primary key
> in relational database does. What I want to state in owl is
> for example:
> No two products should have the same serial number. Could I
> do it in owl or is there some other way to express this?
> Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi Jun,

You could use InverseFunctionalProperty [1]. However, note that "OWL DL does not permit InverseFunctional to be applied to DatatypeProperty".

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-guide/#owl_InverseFunctionalProperty

Regards,
Martin.
The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are confidential and are intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message and its attachments. Any unauthorized use, copying or dissemination of this transmission is prohibited. Neither the confidentiality nor the integrity of this message can be vouched for following transmission on the Internet.