[protege-owl] the counterpart of primary key in relational db forowl?

Alan Ruttenberg alanruttenberg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 07:22:32 PST 2008

While some of the biological community uses LSIDs, there is some
difference of opinion in the community about whether this should be
the practice going forward. The alternative that is offered, and
which can serve your purpose as well, is to us a URI as the "key". In
fact, the URI (http://....) was designed as a way to uniquely
identify web resources, and in later proposals, as way to identify
anything at all.

Since URI's are intended to denote things, and things, in the sense
of OWL, are instances, there is no need to use a string as an
identifier and use inverse functional dataype properties. You can,
instead use a regular inverse functional (object) property. As an
example of how we have done this in the case of some work of
integrating metabolic pathway databases, which is done in part by
having compounds in each of the separate databases "smushed" by
having the same identifier (e.g. KEGG) see http://bio.freelogy.org/
wiki/Debugging_the_bug

In the working group that is discussing OWL 1.1, there is also a
proposal on the table for "Easy keys" which is a restricted form of
using inverse functional datatype properties. The proposal is at
http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Easy_Keys Note, however, that we have
not yet determined whether it will be incorporated for OWL 1.1

Regards,
Alan