[protege-owl] HOW: Show/query/assert deduced facts in Protege?

Johann Petrak johann.petrak at chello.at
Wed Jan 30 11:28:21 PST 2008

I never got an answer to my email "Assert deduced inverse properties?"
on this list, so I try again, stating the question in a bit more
general way:

It is easy in Protege (I am using version 3.3.1) to use a reasoner
to create the inferred class hierarchy and then assert some or
all of the ingerred classes.
It is also possible to show individuals that are inferred
to belong to a class.

However, there are many other things a reasoner can induce,
e.g. from the definition of a property of having an inverse
and the existence of prop(A,B) it will infer inverse_of_prop(B,A)

However, I do not see a way to make Protege show this, and
even less a way to make it assert this kind of inferred
information.

Am I missing something here? How has this to be done?

And is there a way to do a SPARQL query on the inferred
graph from within Protege?
For example, if a property was defined to have an inverse
only after that property was already asserted for individuals,
the inverse property will not have been asserted for those ...
when I query the ontology using the SPARQL tab, I only get
the asserted, and the inferred inverse properties are not found.

What is the general opinion of what should be asserted in an
ontology that could also be inferred?
For instance, Protege DOES assert the inverse property once
it has been defined, although it can be inferred.
Other things are not asserted automatically -- why?

Cheers,
   Johann