[protege-owl] Problem with loading Core Legal Ontology in Protege 3.4 beta

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 31 10:41:45 PST 2008

Yes there is a problem loading this in Protege.  I don't know if this
will help but Protege 4 has no trouble with this ontology.  If Protege
4 has all the plugins that you need I would heartily recommend this as
the best choice.  Also the version of Protege 3 that is supposed to
come out at the beginning of February should be able to handle this
type of ontology.  I tested this on both.

The problem that Protege 3 is having is that some of the nodes don't
include sufficient type information.  Protege 4 and the upcoming
version of Protege 3 can infer the missing type information and
continue without trouble.

So - if you want more details -the class

	LegallyRelevantCircumstance

is a subclass of

	dul:hasSetting some (dul:Situation and (dul:satisfies  some
LegalDescription))

In the second expression the conjunction

	(dul:Situation and (dul:satisfies  some LegalDescription))

is represented as the intersection of the set of items in a list.
This list is represented by node A119 but it is never asserted that
this node is a list.

-Timothy