[protege-owl] SWRL and memory errors

Jane Peace peace at wisc.edu
Mon May 5 20:16:50 PDT 2008

Hi All,

I need help with SWRL, Jess and memory. I'm trying to run about 200 rules in SWRL over a knowledgebase that has about 1400-1500 individuals, and have been unsuccessful so far due to Java heap out of memory exceptions during the OWL+SWRL->Jess step. I think I have the max heap size maxed out on my machine at 1.6GB on Windows XP. Is there anything to try other than splitting up the knowledgebase into several smaller ones? (I'd like to avoid that if possible) Is it worth finding a Linux machine so I can try a max heap of 2GB?

thanks so much for your help!

Jane Peace, RN, MSN, FNP
Doctoral Candidate
UW-Madison, School of Nursing