[protege-owl] Database backend performance

Bartosz Porzuczek b.porzuczek at fqs.pl
Tue May 6 05:38:43 PDT 2008

Timothy,

Thank you for your help.
> This is what we call a streaming parse.  Here is some code from a test
> I did once that shows how you can do this programatically:
>
>          CreateOWLDatabaseFromFileProjectPlugin creator = new
> CreateOWLDatabaseFromFileProjectPlugin();
>          creator.setKnowledgeBaseFactory(new
> OWLDatabaseKnowledgeBaseFactory());
>          creator.setDriver(driver);
>          creator.setURL(url);
>          creator.setTable(table);
>          creator.setUsername(user);
>          creator.setPassword(password);
>          creator.setOntologyFileURI(new URI(uri));
>          creator.setUseExistingSources(true);
>
>          Project p = creator.createProject();
>          OWLModel om = (OWLModel) p.getKnowledgeBase();

I downloaded latest Protege from SVN repository (protege-core and
protege-owl) and tried to run your sample code.
It works well, but there are two issues:
1. It seems to still load owl file into memory before inserting it to
database
2. Is there a way to change column size in create table? I have some
individuals in my models, that have names more than 255 characters long
(when concatenated with model uri) and it causes Postgres exception

One more thing - in new version there is no method
CreateOWLDatabaseFromFileProjectPlugin.setOntologyFileURI().
I used CreateOWLDatabaseFromFileProjectPlugin.setOntologyInputSource()
instead. Is this ok?
>> I have also another questions:
>> 1. is this possible to import a database model into files model?
>> 2. is this possible to handle imports in database models?
>>

> What timing! This has been an open problem for a very long time.  But
> with the code in the latest svn database and file models can import
> each other easily.  We hope to release this by this week or next but
> it is a very big refactor and will probably be a bit unstable for a
> bit.  I am writing a wiki page telling how this is done.

It's a very good news :)

Best regards,
Bartek