[protege-owl] Programming with Protege-OWL generated code.

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Wed May 7 17:39:02 PDT 2008

On May 7, 2008, at 1:55 PM, Trudy Cool wrote:

>>> 4)  What must I do to get Java classes that
>>> consistently obey the ontological rules?
>>>

>> It's not trivial to identify, when you have an
>> inconsistent ontology,
>> the assertion that need to be retracted.
>
> Again, I'm not sure you have understood me.
>
> *Assuming* a consistent ontology, what is the
> best (and least heavy) way to get Java classes to
> behave completely in accordance with that
> consistent ontology?

If the ontology is consistent, then the Java classes will already be
behaving in accordance with it.  The problem is that if you make any
modifications of the Java instances, then you no longer have any
guarantee that there is a consistent ontology behind it.

The same is true if you edit an OWL ontology in Protege.  Once you
change a consistent ontology, you are able to end up with an
inconsistent one.  It is only if you leave it alone after validating
it that you have any guarantees.

And there isn't really any native Java mechanism that can be used to
enforce some of the OWL constraints, at least not without some fairly
substantial programming effort to encode the restrictions.  But even
that won't solve all of the problems I described in my other reply.