[protege-owl] Moving a statement from one ontology to another, imported, one?

Paul Libbrecht paul at activemath.org
Fri May 9 00:12:43 PDT 2008

Le 8 mai 08 à 20:29, Thomas Russ a écrit :

> On May 8, 2008, at 5:35 AM, Paul Libbrecht wrote:
>> as part of my desperate effort to distribute the tasks of Protégé
>> editing through many distant nodes, I realized that the imports of
>> an ontology in another is a very valuable practice.
>> In our case, currently, I can be working quietly (and behind a slow
>> line) on our german-side part of our ontology while some other folks
>> work on the spanish parts. Mostly, we create disjoint individuals
>> and classes. We can group our work within an ontology that imports
>> our core ontology and the spanish and german ontology.

Unfortunately, I have deep bugs trying to do that with some
individuals where it is impossible to add properties. This
disqualifies the approach, it is a shame!
(both with the core ontology as a file aside and as an http URL)

>> But sometimes, I have to create, in my german ontology, a class and
>> instances, that should move to the core ontology at some point.
>> How can I do that?
>> I know it'd be possible by editing the OWL file manually but I am
>> scared that this makes things inconsistent.
>> Can you confirm this is doable?
>> Is there a way to automate such a move? (e.g. I could try owl-api)
>
> I'm not really sure about truly automating it, but you could take a
> look at the PROMPT tab.  It allows you to move items between
> ontologies.

As far as I could see the prompt tab does not allow to work OWL
ontologies.
Is that true?

> The other alternative would be to look at setting up a central server
> and using the collaborative Protege to allow multiple developers to
> work on the ontology at the same time.

This is what we are doing already, with the client-server mode, but
the performance is catastrophic for anyone with DSL or less (it
probably requires at least 10Mb/s up and down). Two of the companies
in our project have their network that is too weak for it! Hence I
really want to look for another solution.

paul