[protege-owl] [POSSIBLE VIRUS:###] P3.4 build 130: Inference after Jess->OWL taking very long

Liu, Richard richard.liu at
Tue May 13 11:34:57 PDT 2008

In the enclosed ontology I run one SWRL rule on 1,000 report titles,
transfer the results to the OWL file, and check with Pellet 1.5.1 for
inconsistencies, reclassify, then re-infer.  The consistency check
requires 137 sec. on my HP Compaq nc6400 notebook with 1.5GB RAM and
Windows XP, but the inferencing runs for 5024 sec.  Is this "normal", or
is there some way to improve performance?

Richard Liu

Group Research Information

Scientific Information Resources

F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.

Bldg. 092/6.01

CH-4070 Basel, Switzerland

Phone: +41 (0)61 687 92 14

FAX: +41 (0)61 688 95 70

richard.liu at

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the use of the
named recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender and delete this message. Any unauthorized use of the information
contained in this message is prohibited.