[protege-owl] how to query an owl ontology

Alan Ruttenberg alanruttenberg at gmail.com
Tue May 20 19:22:06 PDT 2008

You can query OWL using SPARQL with the Pellet reasoner providing
inferences. There are two ways: 1) Directly query SPARQL using it's
native SPARQL implementation. However, that SPARQL implementation
implements only a subset of SPARQL. 2) Use Jena with a pellet
inference model. In this case you get the full expressivity of
SPARQL, but there are some queries you might make that might not be
complete. I recommend the second option. There is also proposal for
SPARQL DL, and there may be an implementation in Pellet coming soon.

If you need some pointers to code you can look on the pellet users
list pellet-users at lists.mindswap.org or drop me a note and I'll point
you at it.

-Alan