[protege-owl] How to express mandatory participation of B in R where are is a Datatype property.

Mariano Rodriguez rodriguez at inf.unibz.it
Wed May 21 02:23:52 PDT 2008

Hello everybody, this is about a general question which is affecting
some parts of our project. Related to some possible bug in protege.

The objective is to be able to express mandatory participation of
instances of a concept into a Datatype property.

That is, we want to say:

A \isa \exists U in DL		------ where U is a datatype property (a.k.a.,
concept attribute, concrete domain role, etc)

Up to now, we have been doing it in protege 3.3.1 with the "asserted
conditions" editor in the "class editor" in this way:

a) A \isa U some rdf:XMLLiteral

and would also like to be able to say:

b) A \isa U some xsd:string

and similar (xsd:integer, etc)

The problem with a) is that the meaning of  rdf:XMLLiteral is not very
clear in the OWL specification, can it be used as the domain that
contains all concrete domain values? that is, does rdf:XMLLiteral
subsumes xsd:string, xsd:integer, etc? If this is the case, then we
have no problem, this is the meaning we want, if not... are there any
other options?

The problem with b) is that it seems protege 3.3.1 doesnt allow you to
say it, at least not in the "asserted conditions editor" in the "class
editor". Is this a bug? is it intended for some reason?

We are about to start working on fixing inside protege's code in case
it is a bug... before doing so I wanted to consult to check that we
are not going in the wrong direction.

Thank you very much in advance everybody.

P.S. Note that what we want to say are not domain and range
restrictions over U (which can be said with the domain and range
editors in the "properties editor").

Cheers,

Mariano Rodriguez Muro
http://www.inf.unibz.it/~rodriguez/