[protege-owl] how to query an owl ontology

Alan Ruttenberg alanruttenberg at gmail.com
Wed May 21 11:32:56 PDT 2008

On May 21, 2008, at 2:00 PM, Martin O'Connor wrote:

> RDF is essentially a storage representation for OWL in the sense we
> are
> talking about here. (Though, the relationship between RDF is OWL in
> general is more complex than that; and OWL 1.1 may completely divorce
> itself from RDF.)
> Querying an OWL ontology with SPARQL using its RDF serialization is, I
> would argue, not a good idea. Dealing with a variety of possible
> serializations is a minor problem compared to SPARQL's complete
> lack of
> understanding of OWL's semantics.

I think the statement is a bit to strong. Rather I would say
something like:

Using SPARQL that isn't aware of OWL semantics should be done with
caution, as you need to be aware of the consequences of the OWL
entailments when forming your queries. On the other hand, there are
implementations of SPARQL that are aware of OWL semantics e.g. JENA/
Pellet. Also, there are many cases where OWL, expressed as RDF, even
without all the OWL entailments, can be useful. For example,
sometimes projects generate OWL that includes inferences that were
computed, for example the inferred superclasses. In this case
although the document is nominally OWL, it has been augmented
specifically so it can be of use without reasoners.

-Alan