[protege-owl] How are Quantifiers / Cardinalities enforced by the Pellet Reasoner

Amrit T amrit.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 22 11:47:43 PDT 2008

Hi,
I am trying to enforce quantifier / cardinality restriction in a simple test
ontology <given below>.
a. With the quantifiers an "existential" quantifier on the property
requiring someValueFrom both classes 'B' and 'C' is enforced here. However
in the instance I attach A's individual to only B's individual. The resoner
doesnt point this out as an inconsistency. Why is that? Also if I dont use
this property to attach to any of the individuals, I only get a red box but
still no reasoner inconsistency by doing "Check Consistency".
b. Cardinality restriction of say at least one such relation are not
detected by the reasoner as an inconsistency if there are no such relations.
Again what I get is a red box surrounding the widget.
I am sure there is something wrong in my approach. Please advise.
Thanks,
--A.T.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<rdf:RDF
    xmlns="http://www.owl-ontologies.com/Ontology1211472106.owl#"
    xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#"
    xmlns:owl="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#"
    xmlns:p1="http://www.owl-ontologies.com/assert.owl#"
  xml:base="http://www.owl-ontologies.com/Ontology1211472106.owl">
  <owl:Ontology rdf:about=""/>
  <owl:Class rdf:ID="B">
    <owl:disjointWith>
      <owl:Class rdf:ID="C"/>
    </owl:disjointWith>
  </owl:Class>
  <owl:Class rdf:ID="A">
    <owl:equivalentClass>
      <owl:Class>
        <owl:intersectionOf rdf:parseType="Collection">
          <owl:Restriction>
            <owl:someValuesFrom rdf:resource="#B"/>
            <owl:onProperty>
              <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="property"/>
            </owl:onProperty>
          </owl:Restriction>
          <owl:Restriction>
            <owl:onProperty>
              <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="#property"/>
            </owl:onProperty>
            <owl:someValuesFrom>
              <owl:Class rdf:about="#C"/>
            </owl:someValuesFrom>
          </owl:Restriction>
        </owl:intersectionOf>
      </owl:Class>
    </owl:equivalentClass>
  </owl:Class>
  <owl:Class rdf:about="#C">
    <owl:disjointWith rdf:resource="#B"/>
  </owl:Class>
  <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="#property">
    <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#A"/>
    <rdfs:range>
      <owl:Class>
        <owl:unionOf rdf:parseType="Collection">
          <owl:Class rdf:about="#B"/>
          <owl:Class rdf:about="#C"/>
        </owl:unionOf>
      </owl:Class>
    </rdfs:range>
  </owl:ObjectProperty>
  <B rdf:ID="B1"/>
  <C rdf:ID="C1"/>
  <A rdf:ID="A1">
    <property rdf:resource="#B1"/>
  </A>
</rdf:RDF>

<!-- Created with Protege (with OWL Plugin 3.4, Build 126)
http://protege.stanford.edu -->