[protege-owl] Intersections in protégé

Alba Fuertes alba.fuertes at upc.edu
Fri May 23 00:27:35 PDT 2008

Dear Forum,

I am a domain expert in the field of the Construction engineering but a new researcher in the field of the Protégé editor and ontologies.
I'm working in a project related to the Environmental Management in Construction and this last year we have been identifying all the environmental aspects, environmental impacts and construction phases and the relations that exist between them. Now we have decided to develop an ontology of this domain and to use Protégé to implement it. We have identified the classes, subclasses and properties but some questions have arised.

>From the idea that an impact is the result of the intersection of an aspect and a phase, we pretend to implement with Protégé the relations:
        An IMPACT takes place along a PHASE
        An IMPACT is related to an ASPECT

The problem is that an impact can be the result of the different intersections (combinations) of phases and aspects (see picture attached). How can we introduce these intersections in Protégé? If we implement the model showed in the picture, how can protégé indentify the correct intersections (not all of them are possible)?

Thank you for your contributions,

Alba

Alba Fuertes
Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya - UPC
Departament d'Enginyeria de la Construcció
Grup de Recerca i Innovació en la Construcció - GRIC
C/Colom 11 - Ed. TR5 - 08222 Terrassa (BCN) - Spain
Telf: +34 93 7398947                 Fax: +34 93 7398670