[protege-owl] taxonomies, OWL-DL and Protégé

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Fri May 23 17:35:45 PDT 2008

Hi Paul,

When I referred to a simple example, I was thinking like a concrete example.

Say you have a class hierarchy with the corresponding representative
individuals:

Class_1             --->  i1
 |__ Class_1_1   ---> i2
 |__ Class_1_2   ---> i3

As I understood, you want to add i2 as value of an annotation property p
to Class_1. Is that right?

There are different solutions.

1. You make (temporarily) p to be an object annotation property, and
then you click on the third icon of the annotations tab ("Add existing
resource as value") and select the class you want (e.g. Class_1_1). In
the right panel, you would see the only instance of Class_1_2, i2 -
which is easy to select. The problem with this solution is that at the
end, you would have to remove owl:ObjectProperty type from p (which can
be done with a right-click on the property and then select "Remove
rdf:type"). There are also other solutions to the last step, if you are
interested.

2. It is quite easy to implement your own class/instances chooser, that
could have any behavior you want. Of course, this means writing some
lines of code.

3. Ideally, Protege would support better the adding of resource values
to annotation properties.. Right now, you can easily add string as
values, but it is harder to add individuals as values, as I described in
sol.1. We would like to support this better, it is just a matter of
finding the time to do it. Any help from the community would be very
appreciated.

Did you take a look at the SKOS browser and editor for Protege 4? It can
be downloaded from here:

http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/SKOS_Editor

Tania