[protege-owl] How do you create a new project from an existing OWL file and display it?

John Finnson john.finnson at gmail.com
Mon May 26 13:50:26 PDT 2008

Hi, I was wondering what are the sequence of Java statements needed to
Create a new Project from an existing OWL file and then display it in
the currently running Protege program. (all done through a tab)

So far this is the code I have, and I am having problems with it
because of my use of protege and protegex methods. What it does right
now is load up the project into protege with the OWL file, but it
seems like it is in Clips format.

OWLMenuProjectPlugin currOWLMenuProjectPlugin = new OWLMenuProjectPlugin();
                                       ProjectManager currProjectManager =
ProjectManager.getProjectManager();

                                       Collection errors = new ArrayList();

                                       File readFile = new File("D:\\Program
Files\\Protege_3.3.1\\TutorualSWDB.rdf-xml.owl");

                                       InputStream inStream = new
FileInputStream(readFile);

                                       OWLModel owlModel =
ProtegeOWL.createJenaOWLModelFromInputStream(inStream);

                                       Project newProject =
Project.createBuildProject(owlModel, errors);

currOWLMenuProjectPlugin.afterCreate(newProject);

currProjectManager.setCurrentProject(newProject,false);

                                       ProjectView currProtegeView =
ProtegeUI.getProjectView(currProjectManager.getCurrentProject());
                                       ProjectToolBar currProjectToolBar =
(ProjectToolBar)currProjectManager.getCurrentProjectMainToolBar();
                                       ProjectMenuBar currProjectMenuBar =
(ProjectMenuBar)currProjectManager.getCurrentProjectMenuBar();

currOWLMenuProjectPlugin.afterShow(currProtegeView,
currProjectToolBar, currProjectMenuBar);

Thanks in advance for any help provided.