[protege-owl] How to make a restriction for "A HasPrerequisite (X and Y and Z)" expression

Pitonyak, Andrew D PitonyakA at BATTELLE.ORG
Tue May 27 11:14:12 PDT 2008

I can not answer your question, but consider the following:

In the Pizza ontology, they have different types of pizza. Some of the
pizzas require that all of a specific topping be used. In their case,
each of the listed toppings must be used, and only the listed toppings
may be used. You only require that each toping must be used (rather than
only).

Each topping is given its own restriction, which creates an anonymous
class of all individuals that use a specific toping (see Listing 1). The
named pizza is listed as a subclass of the anonymous class, which
implies that it must use the MozzarellaTopping. In other words, there
exists a hasTopping property with the value MozzarellaTopping.
Listing 1. Anonymous class with hasTopping set to MozzarellaTopping.
<rdfs:subClassOf>
  <owl:Restriction>
    <owl:someValuesFrom rdf:resource="#MozzarellaTopping"/>
    <owl:onProperty>
      <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="#hasTopping"/>
    </owl:onProperty>
  </owl:Restriction>
</rdfs:subClassOf>

You do not need to use an anonymous class, you can merely list the
restriction.

Provide an entry for every value that you desire the property to have.
This forces the property to have specific values, but it does not limit
the property to have only these values.

Finally, you can declare your specific class to be a subclass of the
classes that specify the needed classes.