[protege-owl] protege owl api :outofmemory exception

Luigi Iannone iannone at cs.manchester.ac.uk
Wed Oct 1 03:47:39 PDT 2008

Hi Suja,

It may be the case that your ontology is really tough and challenges
the reasoner.
Increasing the heap size beyond the physical limit of what you have
available will only slow it down further. It is very likely that your OS
will resort to disk space in order to emulate the extra RAM, and disk
access is much slower than RAM access.

You might want to check that everything is alright with the ontology
itself. For that I suggest http://www.mygrid.org.uk/OWL/Validator with
the caveat that if it uses OWL2
the validator will not cope with its latest features

Hope this helps,

Luigi