[protege-owl] How to inherit value-based class properties to individuals?

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 1 16:35:48 PDT 2008

> I was now hoping that when I create an instance of the above class,
> that instance would have the very same property. This, however,
> turned out not to be the case. It seems that such class properties
> are not propagated by inheritance.

How did you conclude this?  I may have misunderstood but this is
something that a reasoner can deduce.

To make sure that I am understanding, let me give an example.  I can
do this example in Protege 4.  Let's say that I have a class A, an
object property p and an individual, x.  I make a definition

     A = (p has x).

(This is not generally a very good definition but that is another
story).  Now I add an individual y in the class A.  I select a
reasoner (pellet, say) and select classify.  In the individuals tab, I
select the individual y and then under Object Property Assertions, I
will see a highlighted item " p x ".  This highlighted item says that
x is a p-value of y.  The fact that it is highlighted means that this
was one of the things that the reasoner inferred.

-Timothy