[protege-owl] How to find out the OWL Dialect in Protege 4?

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Thu Oct 2 13:10:42 PDT 2008

> 1) Can I integrate another reasoner such as RacerPro or am I
> confined to using
> the two pre-integrated reasoners FaCT and Pellet?

I think that you probably are confined to these two reasoners.
Conceivably the RacerPro group could make a Protege 4 plugin - this
should not be too difficult modulo the owl 1.0 vs owl 1.1 issues.

> 2) Is there any way of seeing which OWL Dialect Protege 4 is
> supposing for my
> ontology? I miss the feature from the 3.x releases under 'Tools >
> Determine OWL
> Sublanguage ...'. Did I just overlook it?

The world is slightly different for owl 2.0 than it is for owl 1.0.
Protege 4 targets the language defined by [1] and so there is no
distinction between owl dl and owl full here as in owl 1.0.  I have
heard rumors that owl 2.0 is going to have an owl full versiion [2]
but I don't think that there will be any special support for this in
Protege 4.

In the active ontology tab under Ontology Metrics there is a DL
Expressivity field.  More information can be found about this in the
DL Metrics View (View->Ontology  Views->DL Metrics).  There is also a
cool page [4] that has lots of information.

It might be nice to have a plugin that determines the owl profile [3]
but I don't  know of such a plugin.

-Timothy

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-syntax/
[2] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Full