[protege-owl] Save only Individuals in another file

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Fri Oct 3 13:05:02 PDT 2008

On Oct 2, 2008, at 2:44 PM, W.O.Wutzke wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I guess this is not the right place for these sort of questions, but I
> didn´t find anywhere else to find help on this issue. :blush:
>
> I am developing a standalone Java App with the Protegé-OWL API and
> everything is working fine. Now after creating some Individuals from a
> loaded ontology also created with Protegé, I wish to save these
> Individuals
> in another file, which I´d like to load aftwards to see what was
> created.
>
> Does anybody have any idea how to do this with the Java Protegé API???
> Some example?

Depends on exactly what you want to save.

To save the entire modified ontology, which will include the new
individuals, you call the "save" method on the OWLModel.  See http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/owl/api/guide.html#IO
  for the example.

If you what to save just the newly added individuals, I think you are
out of luck unless you create a new ontology and import the existing
ontology into it.  Then you can save the new ontology which contains
only the new instances.