[protege-owl] Closed world/Open world

James A Miller James_A_Miller at raytheon.com
Sun Oct 5 18:11:15 PDT 2008

Hello everyone,

This is a follow-up to a statement (from Thomas Russ)  in an earlier post:

"Well, that seems to rely on closed-world reasoning, which is also not
supported in OWL."

I have seen this statement for several years now, but I am curious--what
is it about OWL in particular that would prevent a reasoner from treating
the given ontology and data in a closed-world fashion?  I don't understand
how OWL itself enforces open world reasoning; it seems that a reasoner
could implement a mode that treats the data as complete (closed).  Why is
this not possible?

Jim