[protege-owl] Modelling questions: Synonyms, instances

Damian Nowak damian.nowak at empolis.com
Tue Oct 7 04:15:20 PDT 2008

> > Correct (simplified) example:
> > A machine can handle all modeled canisters. So, I do have a object
> > property called "canHandle" (domain: machines, range: objects) for
> > example. I create an instance: Machine1234, and want to say that it
> > can
> > handle ALL canisters. I can use the "All asserted instances"
> > functionality in protege, but of course this won't regard canisters I
> > add tomorrow or at any later point of time.
> > So, how can I solve that problem?
>
> Well, aside from Jame Howison's note that you might not have to do
> anything, which would be my first choice, you can also use the ability

Hi,
first of all: sorry for the late reply
(I was pretty busy the last couple of days)
and thanks a lot for the extensive replies!

If I understand correctly, James Howison's proposed solution entails
that I would have to bind the restriction to the property.
Since there are many
different specializations of machines which can handle very
different kinds of objects, I'd have to introduce one property for every
machine/object combination.
True?

> to create arbitrary anonymous class definitions whenever you need
> them.  I would choose a slightly simpler formulation than Kaarel
> Kaljurand's, though:
>
>    Machine1234 type (AllValuesFrom canHandle Canister)
>
> which says that Machine1234 belongs to the class of things that can
> handle only canisters, but without any other restrictions on the types
> of canisters.  This isn't the same as saying it handles ALL canisters,
> but rather that it handles ONLY canisters.  This is a bit different
> semantically from Kaarel's second solution which says that all
> canisters can be handled by Machine1234, but without saying anything
> about what else Machine1234 could do in addition to handling cannisters.

I have to admit, I have no idea how to implement such statement in protege.
But even if, wouldn't I still have to assert canisters to the
property manually?

I made a screenshot of my "problem". This is the function I am looking for, but
kind of synchronized. (It's partially in german, I hope it is understandable
though ;) )
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4540/screenshot0710200811334my3.png