[protege-owl] Modeling Problem

Michael Lodemann milo at informatik.uni-kiel.de
Tue Oct 7 08:06:37 PDT 2008

Thanks for your quick answers.

Yes, it's all about inconsisty checking!
I want to check if a xml-File is semantically correct - eg:
- Signs belonging to a road-section are in a right position ... like sign
"position" being between "from" and "to" of the road-section
- road-section is not longer than length_km of belonging road
- etc.

So your hints, James, really helped me to initally model my problem.
I slightly changed your suggestions, because I don't need towns.
And I wonder if it is practicable for me to merge "sign" and
"sign_placement".

so
> :road_sec1 rdf:type :RoadSection ;
>             :from :town1 ;
>             :to :town2 ;
>             :start_km "7.8"^^xsd:float ;
>             :end_km   "17.8"^^xsd:float .
becomes
:road_sec1
      a       :RoadSection ;
      :belongsTo :road1 ;
      :from   "7.8"^^xsd:float ;
      :to     "17.8"^^xsd:float .

and the sign

> :sign1 rdf:type :Sign ;
>        rdfs:label "7km to End Town" ;
>        :dist_to_dest_km "7"^^xsd:float ;
>        :targetTown :town2 .

becomes

:sign1
      a       :Sign ;
      rdfs:label "Beware of Kangaroos" ;
      :onRoadSection :road_sec1 ;
      :position "10.8"^^xsd:float .

Honestly ... I didn't get what the purpose of "SignPlacement" is.

> :CorrectPlacement rdf:type owl:Class ;
>                       rdfs:subClassOf :SignPlacement ;
>                       rdfs:comment "A placement is correct if the
> position and the content of the sign match " .
>
> :InCorrectPlacement rdf:type owl:Class ;
>                       rdfs:subClassOf :SignPlacement ;
>                       rdfs:comment "A placement is incorrect if the
> position and the content of the sign do not match" .
>
> :sign1placement rdf:type :CorrectPlacement .
> :sign1 rdf:type :CorrectlyPlacedSign .  // define this as a :Sign
> associated with a :CorrectPlacement
>
> // Assume an incorrectly placed sign.
> :sign2placement rdf:type :InCorrectPlacement .
> :sign2 rdf:type :MisplacedSign .
>
> Then you can think about what mechanism you might use to produce the
> desired result.  Since this involves math you will probably need to
> look at SWRL to generate the assertions about CorrectlyPlacedSigns.
> Only some reasoners, like Pellet, cope with some SWRL constructions.
> Protege offers the Jess Bridge which understands some extension built-
> ins for SWRL, but you probably don't need those.

Ok, there might be a way to tell the reasoner (I am using Pellet) to infer
if a sign is placed correctly or not. Is this the mechanism you are
talking about? Well today I started looking at SWRL and SQWRL and tried
the family.owl example out in Protege 3.3.1 and Protege 3.4 (for SQWRL
reasons) but I'n not able to map these cognitions to my problem.

Can you give me a hint how do such a SWRL rule looks like regarding the
above example with the placement-check of the sign?

As you can see, I'm quite new to the topic of ontology-creation and
reasoning, so I have to apologize for my newbie questions, but I really
your suggestions.

best regards,
Michael