[protege-owl] Modelling questions: Synonyms, instances

James Howison james at howison.name
Tue Oct 7 08:46:46 PDT 2008

On 7 Oct 2008, at 7:15 AM, Damian Nowak wrote:

>>> Correct (simplified) example:
>>> A machine can handle all modeled canisters. So, I do have a object
>>> property called "canHandle" (domain: machines, range: objects) for
>>> example. I create an instance: Machine1234, and want to say that it
>>> can
>>> handle ALL canisters. I can use the "All asserted instances"
>>> functionality in protege, but of course this won't regard
>>> canisters I
>>> add tomorrow or at any later point of time.
>>> So, how can I solve that problem?
>>
>> Well, aside from Jame Howison's note that you might not have to do
>> anything, which would be my first choice, you can also use the
>> ability
>
> Hi,
> first of all: sorry for the late reply
> (I was pretty busy the last couple of days)
> and thanks a lot for the extensive replies!
>
> If I understand correctly, James Howison's proposed solution entails
> that I would have to bind the restriction to the property.
> Since there are many
> different specializations of machines which can handle very
> different kinds of objects, I'd have to introduce one property for
> every
> machine/object combination.

Not quite that bad, I think.  The property could have domain :Machine
and range :YourObject, then it would 'work' for all sub-classes of
those things ...  I say 'work' but I'm not quite sure what you are
trying to do.

I'm not sure.  Have you had a chance to think about what you want to
assert, what you want to infer and what you want to know, after the
data process? (Also how you will know it; finding an inconsistency,
querying for particular types of inferred statements?)  I think that
would help us help more.

For example, do you want to query a db to find a canister for a
particular machine?  Or to find an appropriate machine for a
particular canister?  Or perhaps you are shipping canisters and you
want to match supply with demand for a particular set of machines?

--J