[protege-owl] default namespace ssue

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 8 15:11:32 PDT 2008

I am not sure that I replicated your scenario.  The closest that  I
came was to open an owl ontology that did not have an xml base or a
default namespace.  In this case, Protege used the location of the
ontology as the xml base and as the name of the ontology.  This is non-
optimal but there is no information to the contrary.  Also this is
what the w3 specifications state.  New classes are then also created
using this inferred xml-base.

If this is what happened then it can be fixed in the Metadata tab.
First the ontology should be given a more meaningful name.  Second, a
default namespace can be added by clicking the + button in the
Namespace prefixes box.  The reason that the default namespace box is
not editable is that we wanted to save that until we had written the
refactor routines.  In other words, we believe that it will often be
the case that when a user changes the default namespace the user also
wants to change the name of all the entities in the ontology that use
that namespace in their full name.  We have  not written these
routines though I believe that these do exist in Protege 4.

So as a general rule the default namespace can be added or changed in
the Namespace Prefixes box.

-Timothy