[protege-owl] [lost and confused in owl ] help

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Oct 13 11:51:50 PDT 2008

On Oct 13, 2008, at 3:26 AM, filipe pinto wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm using Protege 4.

In that case, I would recommend the protege 4 mailing list as a better
place to post questions [1].

> At this moment I believe that I've already construct part
> of my ontology. Nevertheless I'm still confused about it:
> 1st) I would like to make some inferences over it - how do I make it?

First you need to start up the reasoner.  In the menu bar there is a
"Reasoner" menu.  In that menu you can select the reasoner you want to
use.  There are two choices pellet and fact.  The pellet reasoner is
very good and - because it is a java based reasoner - it is better
integrated with Protege 4.  For large ontologies though many people
think that the FaCT++ reasoner is faster.  When you select the
reasoner, Protege 4 will automatically start a classification.

> 2nd) When i use resoner->classifier, where are the results posted?
> How can I
> do to access them?

In the classes tab, there will be a tab that shows the inferred class
hierarchy.  Also notice the color difference between the inferred
classes and the asserted classes.  Things that appear in the light
yellow in Protege 4 are inferences.  So inferences can also be seen in
the Class Description view in the classes tab, and in the Object/
Datatype Properties Tab and the individuals tab.

In addition to all of the above, there is the dl query tab (my
favorite tab).  It can be used to do perform many different inferences
and is described in [2].

> 3rd) When I'm using OWLViz graph, there's an used colors scheme that
> I dont't
> understand - where can I find a manual or a guide to how to use it?

I am not sure about this and you maybe should repost this question on
the p4 mailing list [1].

[2] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/DLQueryTab