[protege-owl] assign property value to a Thing individual(want to get inferred individuals)

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Thu Oct 16 14:37:31 PDT 2008

On Oct 15, 2008, at 10:04 AM, Joseph Awalebo wrote:

> The problem I have is the following:
>
> I create  individuals of Thing (Spike, Pete), but I cannot assign the
> following rule:
>
> Individual(a:Spike type(owl:Thing)
>  value(a: is_pet_of a:Pete))
>
> When I select Spike, the is_pet_of  property is not available.
> is_pet_of has
> domain Animal and range Person.

Timothy Redmond explained how to assign arbitrary properties to
individuals in Protege.

The reason you don't get the nice form that you would get if you said
that a:Pete were of type Animal is just that any form you produced for
individuals of type owl:Thing would have to include ALL of the
properties defined in your ontology.  For real applications
ontologies, that would generally mean at least 10s and sometimes 100s
or more properties.  That would be way too unwieldy (not to mention
slow to generate) and you would have trouble navigating any panel that
big.

So you only see the widgets if you have an instance of a type more
specific than owl:Thing, so that one could expect there to be a more
reasonable number of properties that appear.  But the way this
limitation is done is by looking at the domains of the properties and
only having the property widget be added if the individual is known to
be in the domain of the property (or if there is a value for the
property).

So in that sense, the more general inference of types based on the
domain and range of property value assertions is not something that is
generally easy to get to happen in Protege.  But you can get it by
using the general triples view to add the information.