[protege-owl] hasValue restriction on owlclass doesn't fill in individual property value in protégé

Pas Filip pasfilip at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 03:50:08 PDT 2008

Hello,

I get some behavior using protégé which I don't really understand. Can
someone explain why it works the way it does?

I define 2 classes: someClass and typeClass
I define a couple of individuals of typeClass. (Type1,Type2,Type3,Type4)
I restrict all of the possible values of typeClass to the enumeration of
individuals of typeClass.
I define an object property hasTypeClass which is set on someClass and has
range any typeClass.
Then I define someClass1, someClass2, someClass3, someClass4. each of these
someClasses gets an additional restriction hasTypeClass Type1, hasTypeClass
Type2 etc...

Now when I go to the individuals pane and create a new Individual the field
hasTypeClass  for the individuals
(someClass1,someClass2,someClass3,someClass4)  is not editable, marked in
red and shows the respective value (Type1,Type2,Type3 or Type4).
After this I save the ontology and I check out the xml and notice that there
are no values set for the relation hasTypeClass on the individuals (of class
someClass1,etc...).

What is the reason for this that It's impossible to fill in the value
through the editor? To actually fill in the value I have to :
a) Change the owl xml file manually.
b) remove the restrictions from the classes temporarily, then create the
individuals and then put the restrictions back.

Is there some workaround I should be using instead for this, why is the
behavior implemented like this?
I would expect that if I say all individuals of someClass1 must have Type1
for property hasTypeClass that protégé would update the individuals that
have been created unde someClass1.

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.!