[protege-owl] How to use an Ontology

James Howison james at howison.name
Mon Oct 20 12:18:15 PDT 2008

On 20 Oct 2008, at 11:31 AM, Joseph Awalebo wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Now I know how to built an Ontology(Classes, Properties and
> instances) in
> Protege. But, I don't know how I can use an ontology in an
> application.

You can use it in a very similar way to that in which you would use a
database.  You can add individuals of different classes, and different
attributes, then use the full set of asserted and inferred statements
as your application requires.

What sort of application would you like to write?

> Please, could someone has a link that explain how I can use an
> Ontology in an
> application.

I could drop a link in to any type of application here, but I don't
think that would help.  Tell us more so that people can help you.

> I would also like to know how to use SWRL rules(I can Edit a SWRL
> rule but I do not know how to test the rule against some individuals).

I suggest googling for Semantic Web Rule Language (SWRL) first, then
trying a few things, then coming back with specific questions.

This is a useful place to start:

http://www.mindswap.org/papers/CautiousSWRL.pdf

--J