[protege-owl] Re : How to use an Ontology

Joseph Awalebo jawalebo at
Mon Oct 20 13:44:25 PDT 2008

Thanks for the answer James,

I will have a look on the document. I don't have a specific application right now in mind. I am trying few examples I saw on the web (Person ontology, Pizza Ontology,....)

----- Message d'origine ----
De : James Howison <james at>
À : User support for the Protege-OWL editor <protege-owl at>
Envoyé le : Lundi, 20 Octobre 2008, 15h18mn 15s
Objet : Re: [protege-owl] How to use an Ontology

On 20 Oct 2008, at 11:31 AM, Joseph Awalebo wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Now I know how to built an Ontology(Classes, Properties and
> instances) in
> Protege. But, I don't know how I can use an ontology in an
> application.

You can use it in a very similar way to that in which you would use a
database.  You can add individuals of different classes, and different
attributes, then use the full set of asserted and inferred statements
as your application requires.

What sort of application would you like to write?

> Please, could someone has a link that explain how I can use an
> Ontology in an
> application.

I could drop a link in to any type of application here, but I don't
think that would help.  Tell us more so that people can help you.

> I would also like to know how to use SWRL rules(I can Edit a SWRL
> rule but I do not know how to test the rule against some individuals).

I suggest googling for Semantic Web Rule Language (SWRL) first, then
trying a few things, then coming back with specific questions.

This is a useful place to start:

protege-owl mailing list
protege-owl at

Instructions for unsubscribing:

Do You Yahoo!?
En finir avec le spam? Yahoo! Mail vous offre la meilleure protection possible contre les messages non sollicités Yahoo! Mail