[protege-owl] Distributed Onotolgy modeling with Protege?

phend phendler at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 21 17:54:02 PDT 2008

At Kaiser we are considering moving SNOMED to OWL-DL (SHOIN).  We are able to
classify the entire un modified SNOMED ontology (we have not yet added any
negation, disjunction, GCI's or Universal restrictions).  I was asking
earlier if Protege running on a massive machine with 64 bit Linux and 16
gigs of RAM would be able to load this ontology (of nearly 500K terms) and
be able to add new terms with the so far unused features that distinguish
SHOIN from EL+.  But another question presents itself.  Even if one instance
of Protege could do this, it would not be practical to model SNOMED with one
user on one machine at a time. We would need a way of doing distributed
modeling.  Does Protege support multiple users modifying the same OWL file?
If not, does anyone know of an OWL modeling platform that would allow
distributed modeling of a massive ontology such as SNOMED?