[protege-owl] Union of class and some subclasses

cedric.peeters at fundp.ac.be cedric.peeters at fundp.ac.be
Thu Oct 23 06:56:56 PDT 2008

Hello,

We are making a medical ontology.
This ontology has class "Lesion" with subclasses let's assume "LesionA",
"LesionB" and "LesionC".

For describing these lesions, there are several descriptors.
Our ontology contains a class “LesionDescriptor” with some types of
descriptor as subclasses.

One of the Descriptor subclasses is “LesionEvolution” because a lesion
can be described by its evolution. In this subclass there are some
common individuals that can be the evolution of each lesion type. But
there are also subclasses “LesionAEvolution”, “LesionBEvolution” and
“LesionCEvolution” because LesionA, lesionB and LesionC can have
particular evolution types that are not common to other lesion.

So we have common evolutions in class “LesionEvolution” and particular
evolutions in subclasses “LesionAEvolution”, “LesionBEvolution” and
“LesionCEvolution”.

My problem is: how to specify the range of a property called
“hasEvolution” as a union of the class “LesionEvolution” and one of its
subclasses but others subclasses excluded?

Example: LesionA hasEvolution LesionEvolution including LesionAEvolution
but excluding LesionBEvolution and excluding LesionCEvolution.

Is it possible to specify such a range?

We can make a subclass of “LesionEvolution” called
“CommonLesionEvolution” to store the common individuals and then specify
the range as “LesionAEvolution” and “CommonLesionEvolution”. But anyway,
I’m asking myself if it’s possible to specify a range as a union of a
class and some of its subclasses excluding some other subclasses.

Thank you very much.

Cedric