[protege-owl] Deleting a large amount of classes

James Howison james at howison.name
Thu Oct 23 09:12:31 PDT 2008

You'll also have to decide what you mean by deleting the classes, at a
statement level.  Do you just want to delete the Class definitions

eg

:class1 rdf:type owl:Class .

or do you want to eliminate the Class from your ontology entirely, by
deleting all statements that reference it?  For example

:pred1 rdf:type rdf:DataTypeProperty ;
        rdfs:domain :class1 .

If you don't a reasoner might just add the rdf:type statments back
(since they can be inferred).

If you have 'data-like' individuals do you want to delete all of
those?  What about objects of other Classes that are (only) attached
to those Individuals?

It gets particularly complicated when you have Union classes that
include the class.

If you delete a SuperClass do you want to delete all sub-classes; and
do you want to delete all the relevant statements for all of those sub
Classes?

Might be easier to figure out what you want to remain and do it that
way.

Programatically I've had success in using SPARQL CONSTRUCT queries to
either build up what I want to remain, or find all the statements I
want to remove, then removing the new model from the full model.

Good luck :)

--J